Sunday, October 13, 2013

Weight Loss Blog: Day 13: The days you hurt

I mentioned in my very first post about the ailments that I have been experiencing for what I fell is from weight gain.  Friday night, I was cleaning out my garage, nothing too serious, and before I knew it, I threw my back out again. Now- a little back story:

When I was preggo with #5, I gained quite a bit of weight with the pregnancy and developed Sciatica. And because it hurt to pretty much do anything, I grew heavier and it got worse. (vicious cycle)
Once the pregnancy was over, I went through about a week of the sciatica being WORSE that even the post labor pains, and that sucked. But once it left, it was gone for good.

Until about 3 months ago.

I do sit down a lot during the day because of my job. I manage a photography company and am busy on the computer most of the time doing various things. My sciatica came back but wasn't too painful. And then the end of August, I was packing up our house to move and while placing freaking plastic containers into a box, i twisted just right and a shooting pain rocketed through my back and down my legs, causing me to almost black out. I couldn't move for the pain was so immense. I was light headed, couldn't move, and no one was home to help me.

After about 10 minutes, the stabbing pain subsided, but I was so sore, that all I could do was sit in a recliner. After a week of taking pain meds and taking it easy, I couldn't stand the pain any longer and went to the dr. He proceeded to tell me that Sciatica was most likely the cause but that I needed an xray to rule out spine deformities. I never got the xray. He then prescribed me 4 pills to take to help with pain management and told me I needed to lose weight, exercise, and not sit so much. (ha....nice one)

I stayed down and took it easy for 2 more weeks- (all the while I had to pack some since we were moving Sept 1) and by the time moving day came along, I felt just fine.

I've been doing great ever since, just had some minor residual pain- but knowing it was a 'mechanical" thing in my back, there was really nothing I could do to prevent it ever happening again.

Fast forward to Friday. Cleaning out the garage, doing seemlessly nothing, and WHAM. rocketing pain shooting down my back and almost knocking me out yet again. My 10 yr old son was there when it happened, scared him- but I knew it wasn't as bad as the first time.

I've been laying down taking it easy for the last few days, and the pain is easing up, but it's still apparent.

Dr said I need to rest and take pills until the pain is practically gone, and then go to a chiropractor.

In the mean time- I am having a hard time with this. I want to lose weight, I want to get in shape so I don't have to experience this crap anymore. But how can I when everything I do  potentially could hurt me worse?

So now I struggle. I need to now find a few different exercises that I can do from home, without having to worry about re-injuring my back. I've been told going to a physical therapist can help with it- so I may just need to bite the bullet and make that happen.

I also think that's why I gained a few ounces back since yesterday :(
I don't even know why I weigh every day- it makes me depressed when I see numbers go up. BUT- I do think it makes my resolve stronger knowing that I'm not just losing to lose. My body is guiding me on this journey and telling me when I need to push and when I need to slow down. And I'm OK with that.

For now, I'll watch what I eat even more and maybe just focus on arms for the time being lol.
On to do some research......I'll keep you posted as I figure out how to work around this "bump in the road". :)

Yesterdays Weight: 166.8
Today's Weight: 167.6


No comments:

Post a Comment