Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Weight loss Blog: The Journey Begins.....I hope

Ok- So I came up with the idea of blogging my weightloss journey in a dream. Yes... a dream. I'd like to think of myself as some sort of genius when it comes to ideas like this, but alas...I'm not the first to do a personal blog about weightloss. But who cares right? You'll come to know me and my personality as I go through ups and downs and try to bring humor into just about every aspect. (It's how I deal...so deal with it)
I am going to be openly honest and upfront with everything I'm going through- the numbers, the measurements, the craziness I go through when I have lack of chocolate or kids climbing all over me...you know.... all the juicy stuff.

I've been "that person" throughout my life  who has always been "skinny". I danced my whole life, I was constantly eating anything I wanted, and never gained weight...until college. You know the term "freshman 15"? That was me. I wasn't dancing anymore, although I was staying plenty active by walking everywhere as all college students do. But I had the freedom to make and eat whatever I wanted, and if I didn't, then I'd be hungry. Now- I didn't get heavy in college, I was about 115-120lbs. Now I'm 5'4". So that's a decent weight for my height. (if I do say so myself).

So a little more background. I got married young- barely 19...and got pregnant right away. (honeymoon baby anyone?) Now if you think back to your first pregnancy, it's tough. I was used to being this cute skinny thing and all of a sudden, I was craving McDonalds and bacon. (True story- it was horrible). And before I knew it, I had gained about 70lbs with my first pregnancy. I had discovered I retained a lot of water and gained weight easily during pregnancy. (Fun times no?) But in true fashion, I was back to my regular size and back in my jeans within 2 weeks (I was one of those women you hate.... that I hate!). Honestly- I lost everything but 5 lbs. Not bad right? Wait until what happens next....
BAM! I get preggo again. Yes. 16 short months later, #2 joined the family. This time though, I only gained about 30 lbs- I considered that a complete victory based on my previous experience. Again, I was able to lose my weight within a short amount of time and get back in my jeans. And again- got to a point where I had lost everything but 5 lbs. (See the pattern starting?)
By the time we got pregnant with #3, I was at the height of my self-happiness. I loved how I looked, I felt great, I exuded confidence, and seriously had NO issues with my body image. At this point I was about 130lbs.

SIDE NOTE: It took a LOOOOOONG time, but I finally got to a point where numbers didn't matter. I could care less what the scale says or the measurements of my waist. As long as I feel good about myself, that's all that matters. Continuing on........

So #3 came 2.5 yrs after #2, had a little more trouble losing the weight this time, although I only gained 25 lbs. Again, once i had lost the weight- there was 5 lbs left to go before I got preggo with #4 2.5 yrs after that. With #4, I gained about 30 lbs as well. At this time in our lives, we went through A LOT of change. We moved to 4 different states and homes within a 4 month period...with a newborn!! (Talk about stress!) And I believe that's when I started turning more to food.

Food is not my enemy. I love it. I eat it when I'm hungry (go figure), I'm sad, when I'm stressed, and when I'm bored. I relish in the fact that I LOVE cotton candy and chocolate.  I like to watch movies, I don't like exercising, and although I was chasing 4 kids and moving... didn't do a dang thing to help the waistline.

Anywho- We finally got settled and #5 came along. Now- we had a 4.5 year break in between my last 2. At this point, I had 20lbs "left over" from my previous pregnancies. So I started out my pregnancy with #5 at 150lbs. Luckily for me- I got sick and lost about 10 lbs at the beginning of it, so I got down to 140lbs. Still not bad. I was OK with me. By the time baby came, I had been the heaviest I have ever weighed- my final weigh-in at my last apt was 175lbs. Now, I know I was pregnant, and by the time I delivered and went home, 20 lbs had already dropped off. (why can't normal weight loss be like that? Sheesh!)

So here I am- my "baby" is almost 2 and between moving again (add 3 more times onto that), getting a new job, and now chasing 5 kids around...food was/is my fuel. With my job, I've become accustomed to sitting down a lot during the day (Do a lot of computer work and editing- I'm a photographer and manager)...and of course, I get bored- so I eat while I sit. And to top it off- I started drinking soda and eating out A LOT. Talk about throwing salt on a wound.

My point is..... I've gained just about everything back. About 2 weeks ago, I gave up soda and have lost 5 lbs because of it (Small vicotry!) and am currently at a weight of 172. (No judgy judgy here) I've started experiencing back problems- to which I'm on several medications for, I've noticed joint pains that didn't use to be there, my energy is completely gone, I get heart palpitations frequently, and my blood pressure is borderline high. These are just a few issues that have become common-place for me since gaining weight.
And this is how I feel I look:

Oh yes- a beached whale. Notice how the skinny ladies in the back are calling her a "whopper"? Yup...hence the reason I don't wear a swimming suit ;)-

I have not taken my measurements today, I have also not taken a "before" picture yet. But I will get that done tonight and get it posted hopefully tomorrow.

I have lots of goals. I have lots to say and I have a lot of inspiration to give. I've tried SO MANY diets/pills/fads- some of which have given great results, but not lasted, others just blowing up in my face, and a few things that have really worked, but I didn't follow through
.
I will discuss some of those things tomorrow as I throw my 2 cents into just about everything- (I'm very opinionated... you'll understand as you keep reading my story lol)

And now that you've read my novel of a first post, I'll leave with what my main goal is here.....
MY GOAL: lose 40 lbs by March of 2015. That gives me approx 15 months to reach my goal. And why March? That's my birthday :)


5 comments:

  1. Love it! I'll be cheering for you. I've found the accountability of the online community very helpful in achieving my goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be cheering for you also! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freshman 15, Amber? Psht! That's nothing. Try freshman 55. NO... I'm not kidding. I weighed 118 at h.s. grad and 5'9" (not anorexic, just a twig ). End of freshman year, I weighed in at....*dingdingdingding*... 173 lbs!!!! :-) and still 5'9". Lol. But alas...I will state one thing..... what I would give to weigh 173 again now! ! Hahaha. :-) good for you, girl. Proud of you! --janelle rudd

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is courageous! You won't be alone during this escapade.

    ReplyDelete